Marjory B. Cohen
Family law is all I do, and I have been practicing family law for more than thirty-two years. I am committed to providing each client with quality representation. I intentionally maintain a relatively low caseload, so that I am able to be attentive to each case and to each client's individual needs, promptly responding to phone calls and doing what needs to be done in a timely, careful and highly skilled manner. I take the time to ensure that my clients understand the legal process, know their rights and obligations, have their questions answered and concerns addressed.
It is of the utmost importance that my clients be treated fairly by the legal system. At the same time, I believe that it is preferable to resolve family legal disputes in as non-adversarial a manner as possible, so that each party can move forward feeling that a painful chapter in his or her life has been closed in an honorable way. I am committed to protecting the needs of children, and seek at all times to resolve disputes in a manner that serves their best interests.
As a past president of the Michigan Trial Lawyers Association and the Detroit Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild, as a frequent lecturer at legal education seminars for lawyers, and in my day-to-day dealings with others, I have earned the respect and trust of the lawyers and judges with whom I interact.
While the Internet is a valuable tool in locating potential representation, there is no substitute for a personal consultation, preferably face-to-face when practicable. Please feel free to contact me to set up an in-depth meeting with me, so that I can familiarize myself with the facts and circumstances of your situation, advise you as to the workings of the legal process and what you can expect to occur in you case, and answer all of your questions in detail.
Areas of Practice
- Child Support
- Child Custody
- Family Law
- Change of Domicile
- Modification of Divorce Judgement
- Domestic Partnership Agreements and Dissolutions
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Michigan, 1976
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1976
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. - 1976
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- B.G.S. - 1973
- Honors: With Distinction
- Representing the Battered Party in Divorce, 62 Michigan Bar Journal, 1983
- Fundamentals of Divorce Practice and Procedure, "Starting the Divorce Action", Institute of Continuing Legal Education, September 19, 2006
- Family Law Seminar, "Representing the Delinquent Tax Payer", "Practical/Ethical Issues in Timing of Service of Complaint for Divorce", Michigan Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, 2005
- Rapid-Fire Topics in Family Law Seminar, Co-Moderator, Michigan Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, 2004
- 3rd Annual Rapid-Fire Topics in Family Law Seminar, Co-Moderator and Speaker, Michigan Trial Lawyers Association, 2003
- Overcoming Prejudice at Trial: What the Experts Know and Do, Institute of Continuing Legal Education Masters in Litigation Services, 2001
- Rapid Fire Topics in Family Law, Contingency Fees in Divorce Cases and Paternity Lump Sum Awards - Still Alive?, Michigan Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, 2000
- When Plaintiffs Divorce - Personal Injury Proceeds as Marital Assets, Michigan Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, 1999
- Civil Litigation for Victims of Sexual Assault, Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan Statewide Sexual Assault Conference, 1998
- Expert Witnesses, Michigan Coalition Against Domestic Violence Conference, 1995
- Faculty Member, Defender Training Institute Trial Skills Institute, 1994
- Best Use of Exhibits in a Deposition, Institute of Continuing Legal Education Deposition Skills Workshop, 1993
- Advocacy in the 90's, Divorce And Personal Injury Actions, Michigan Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, 1990
- Presenter, Gender Issues in the Courts, Michigan Supreme Court Task Force
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Lawyers Guild, Detroit Chapter, Past President
- State Bar of Michigan, Family Law Section, Member
- Michigan Association of Justice , Member
- National Lawyers Guild, Member
- Collaborative Law Institute, Member
- Appearance on Detroit Channel 4's "Due Process" television show, August 28, 2005, "Is there Gender Bias in Divorce Law?"